Saturday, May 21, 2011

A Diagnosis and a Dilemma Develop

I guess you could say I'm a sort of 'modified Christian Scientist', although I am not a member of that church. I am a believer in Christ and the Bible, and the more I study, the more I see we can rely on God for all of our needs, including health.

The Bible never says to not go to a doctor or to seek medical help when needed. Why, I have all sorts of doctors for various conditions! However, I am learning to trust the Great Physcician more and more as I deal with the Myelodsplasia.

One thing I have always believed, is that our bodies want to be healthy. If we give them a chance and the right conditions, I also believe our bodies can repair themselves, for the most part. I'm not talking about a lost limb or something like that: we are not iguanas or lizards, after all! I am talking about illnesses and prevention of them.

Per my 'various conditions' mentoned above, I have begun a nutrition regimen at times. Made bad choices at times, too. One of the worst choices I made was a high protein diet. I wasn't insane enough to go Atkins...but I restricted carbs. I don't think it was so much restricting the carbs, as it was the overload to my body with all that protein and uric acid assaulting my body. That's when things began to happen. Bad things. Red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets...all of them started going down down down. And still I kept up with the silly protein 'bleep'.

Fast forward a year, and I was diagnosed with MDS after a bone marrow biopsy. After the original doctor ( this was even before the first Doctor I mentioned)) suggested a bone marrow stem cell transplant, ( like I would ever agree to that! There's no guarantees with that procedure, anyway ) I decided to think about what I could do to improve my health on my end. This is when I began questioning my high protein diet.

Questioning and changing are two different things. I tried going back to grains along with protein, but the grains bothered me. Or, was it the protein? I wrestled with this whole issue for more than a year...back and forth...and all the while, the numbers went down, down down...

Just recently, I began to study what God says about food & nutrition in the Bible...when all the while I should have started there! Please keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment